Friday, December 20, 2013

Dr. Meow: 20 December 2013

(Sorry this is two days late--we have had problems with internet as well as meetings in Managua that have switched around our schedules. I wrote this Monday but am sending it today. With permission, Dad. No worries. )

Hola familia y amigos!

Rutas + billowy skirts = bad combination.  Let's just say Nicaragua saw a whole other side of me today. And I wish I was joking.

I want someone to send me a nerf gun.  I want to use it to shoot the pigeons that are always bathing in our sink and also the Testiguos de Jehovah (Jehovah's Witnesses) who keep stealing our investigators.  Not even kidding, twice this week we came to our investigators houses to speak with them to find that the Testiguous were there or had already been there.  Ugh. The worst.

The good news, however, is that we're actually teaching a former Jehovah's Witness and he is easily my favorite out of all the people we're teaching. His name is Roger (the 23 year-old son of the other Roger I mentioned in one of my other emails), and he's the ray of sunshine here when we're finding nothing in our path but rejection and unfulfilled expectations.  He comes to church every week without us passing by, he's reading the Book of Mormon and is going to finish it in several weeks, and we have his baptism set for the 28th of this month.  I'll hold off on giving more details until after the 28th, just because if I told you about every single person I thought would get baptized and then never did, all of my emails home would be depressing.  But, we'll see, my hopes are definitely high.

Also, my wonderful and nerdy mission District finally picked a name for itself, and so (drumroll please), allow me introduce you to.... Distrito Pokemon.  Yes, I am now a proud member of District Pokemon, nice to meet you, our revered leader being the dedicated and also somewhat awkward Elder "Bellsprout" Reed from Utah.  Everyone was a assigned a Pokemon name, and I am ashamed and also admittedly proud to confess that I still remember all of the Pokemon from my 2nd grade glory days.  It was a an entertaining meeting.  My favorite assignment was Elder Chub as Pickachub, hahaha.  We're dorks. It's fine.

For those of you who are members, you are familiar with the concept of "Mormon Standard Time" (which is a guarantee that you will be at least 10 or 15 minutes late, if not more, to any given appointment or meeting).  So, there's that, and then there's "Nica Mormon Standard Time", which is, as you can imagine, worse.  To give you an idea, we invited several of our investigators to a Church devotional at 6, and they showed up at 7:15 (we planned for that, though, because it actually started at 7.  Good call on our part)..  I like Latin culture, just because it's laid back and pretty much everyone makes time in the day to take naps, but I can pretty much guarantee that none of our plans will actually happen the time we say they will. 

On a random note, we were passing by an elderly couple we walk by every single day reclining in their rocking chairs (they might just be there all day), and when I offered my hand to the old man I realized his hand was abnormally swollen, as if it had been bitten by something.  He always calls me "Gatita" (little cat) because I apparently have "cat eyes" (as in, they aren't brown), and when I asked him if he's seen a doctor yet he told me he is awaiting the analysis of "Dr. Meow," aka, me.  I'm just getting all sorts of great nicknames here. You know how we do.  Salvadora de los Almas and her trusty companion, Dr. Meow, bringing salvation to the people of Nicaragua one soul at a time.

There's also a giant Gigatona in the Central of Leon right now.  It's literally 5 stories high--its face alone is the size of a car.  Quite honestly it's kind of terrifying.  A bit of a preview to what the world would be like if it were taken over by humungous Latina Barbie Dolls.

Anyway, I am completely out of time this week, but I am thinking of everyone and keeping you in my prayers!

You won't hear from me next Monday either, as we have more meetings in Managua, but some random day in the week you can expect an email.  I also get to SKYPE with my family next week!! Aaaahhh!

So excited.  Keep being great.  Enjoy the snow, I'm just sitting here in the miserable hotness getting a weird tan.

Les quiero!

<3 Hermana Behan / Dr. Meow

No comments:

Post a Comment